Please Note: This programme is a full time 2 years / 4 semesters offered at CHRIST (Deemed to be University) Bannerghatta road campus. The classes for this programme will be conducted at CHRIST (Deemed to be University), Bannerghatta Road (BGR) campus.
Candidates on the programme will acquire:
• An interdisciplinary approach to focus on the cultural and historical, socio-political and technological contexts in which we read literary, media and cultural texts.
• Analytical and Creative thinking skills that enable research enquiry and independence of thought.
• Hands-on training in critical reading and academic writing skills, ranging from reviews of literary and cultural texts to research papers and public projects.
• Development of research and communication skills that are useful in academia as well as in related fields such as publishing, cultural entrepreneurship, and other professions within the cultural sector.
• Hands-on experience of working with cultural organisations in Bangalore and elsewhere, through a three-month internship/public project in the final semester.
Programme Outcomes: At the end of the programme, students will be able to:
1. Leverage interdisciplinary perspectives towards understanding literature, film, media in their larger socio-political and cultural contexts;
2. Contribute to an informed public discourse and knowledge production through research projects and papers;
3. Understand the aesthetic as well as the ethical implications of our practice and interpretation of ‘culture’, and demonstrate this through research as well as an active engagement with society.
Programme Specific Outcome: On completion of the programme, students will have acquired the following capabilities/graduate attributes:
1. Build domain expertise in English and Cultural Studies through the completion of coursework, research projects, and research papers.
2. Acquire the ability for independent study and research skills.
3. Be able to apply the knowledge learnt on the course to their immediate socio-cultural contexts.
4. Draw upon interdisciplinary perspectives in engaging with texts or contexts.
5. Build upon qualities of enterprise, self motivation and critical imagination to engage with our contemporary contexts.
6. Develop an awareness of diversities (cultural, linguistic, racial, gendered, caste-based etc) and know how to engage with these productively.
7. Learn to engage with contrarian views and undertake productive debates in an informed manner.
Duration: 4 semesters; 3 semesters of coursework + final semester of project work.
A candidate who has passed any Undergraduate degree examination with 50 % aggregate marks from any recognised University in India or abroad recognised by UGC / AIU is eligible to apply.
Applicants who are in the final year of their studies should have secured 50% or above aggregate in all the Semesters / Years of Undergraduate Examinations conducted so far. Students appearing for their final degree examinations in March-May 2019 are also eligible to apply.
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Finance and International Business)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English, Political Science, History
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Economics, Media Studies, Political Science
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Tourism and Travel Management)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours in English
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours in Economics
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours in Journalism
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) Honours in Psychology