Department is conducting research actively in various areas of Nano Science, Material Science, Nuclear and Atomic Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics, Optics and Electronics. The research has gained momentum in the recent past by acquiring funding from external agencies, viz. ISRO, DST, UGC and also from Center for Research, CHRIST Deemed to be University. These sponsorships have helped to create state of the art laboratories and instruments to carry further the research and development activities, which has resulted in many patents and quality publications. The department has collaboration with many National and International institutes and research centers.
The department strives to bring in research-centered scientific temperament among students by actively involving Post-graduate and few Undergraduate students in the faculty projects. The MPhil and PhD program is designed to make sure the students are well exposed to the ever expanding frontiers of their research areas.
Specializations/core areas of research
- Synthesis of Nano-structured materials
- Fundamental studies on mass transport in nanofluidic systems
- Micro/nanofluidics for cell selection and analysis
- Thermoelectric properties of semiconductor nanosystems
- Nanocarbon composites and applications
- Sensing applications of nanocarbon derivatives
- Fundamental studies on fluorescent properties of nanosystems
- Development of good quality compound semiconducting crystals (Melt growth and Vapour growth)
- Preparation of thin films and nanomaterials
- Investigations on optoelectronic properties and its applications
- Molecular structure studies - X-ray crystallography, Computational studies.
- Photophysical properties of fluorophores - metal ion sensing.
- High temperature superconductivity
- Quantum dots and carbon dots
- Water purification, energy conversion & storage applications.
- Electronic, Magnetic and Dielectric properties of functional materials
Nuclear and Atomic Physics
- Radiation shielding materials.
- Photon-atom interactions: X-ray fluorescence studies.
- Radiation effects on detectors/semiconducting materials
- Environmental radiations
Astronomy and Astrophysics
- X-ray astronomy - X-ray binaries, AGN.
- Diffuse radiation field at high galactic latitudes
- Imaging of globular cluster systems in early-type galaxies
- Formation and evolution of galaxies using optical studies
- UV studies of star formation in galaxies
- Investigation of stellar streams in galaxies using UVIT
- Study of moving groups with the aid of GAIA mission
- UV upturn studies in galaxy clusters
- Mass accretion process in Herbig Ae/Be stars
- Understanding High energy emission in young stellar objects
- Study of emission-line stars in diverse metallicity environments
- Study of evolved stars in open clusters
- Optical/infrared studies of Be/X-ray binaries
- Raman spectroscopy as a tool for ecological studies
- Optical biosensors
- Astronomical Instrumentation
- Large optics profilometry
- Optical Instrumentation
- Optical Image processing
- X-ray optics - diffraction lenses
- Embedded systems
- MEMS and MOEMS
- Optical sensors and PHC
- Digital Image processing
- Course Overview
- Guide List
- Test Pattern
- Application Guidelines
- Selection Process
- Admission for International Student Category
- Admission for NRI Student Category
- Admission Process
- Miscellaneous Information
- PhD Research Proposal Format
- Syllabus(Academic Year-2020)