ABOUT CHRIST UNIVERSITY
CHRIST (Deemed to be University) was born out of the educational vision of St Kuriakose Elias Chavara, an educationalist and social reformer of the nineteenth century in South India. He founded the first Catholic indigenous congregation, Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI), in 1831 which administers CHRIST (Deemed to be University).
Established in 1969 as Christ College, it undertook path breaking initiatives in Indian higher education with the introduction of innovative and modern curricula, insistence on academic discipline, imparting of Holistic Education and adoption of global higher education practices with the support of creative and dedicated staff. The University Grants Commission (UGC) of India conferred Autonomy to Christ College in 2004 and identified it as an Institution with Potential for Excellence in 2006. In 2008 under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, the Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Government of India, declared the institution a Deemed to be University, in the name and style of CHRIST (Deemed to be University). One of the first institutions in India to be accredited in 1998 by the NAAC, and subsequently, in 2004 and 2016, CHRIST (Deemed to be University) has the top grade ‘A’ on the 4-point scale.
CHRIST (Deemed to be University) is constituted by over 16,000 pursuing various undergraduate and post graduate students across three campuses in the city alone. It also houses 450 international students, about a hundred of whom are exchange students. With over six hundred full-time professors and over 140 visiting professors, the University is ably administered by over 480 administrative staff members.
The University offers a range of nationally and internationally recognized undergraduate and postgraduate programs in a variety of academic disciplines including Law, Business Administration, Commerce, Management, Humanities, Sciences, and Social Sciences. In addition, it offers professional courses in a number of fields including Business Management, Computer Application, Hotel Management, Mass Communication, Social Work, and Tourism.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Management
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Commerce
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Tourism
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Economics
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in English
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Media Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Sociology
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Psychology
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Finance and International Business)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English, Political Science, History
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Economics, Media Studies, Political Science
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Tourism and Travel Management)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours in English
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours in Economics
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours in Journalism
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) Honours in Psychology