Programme Description: The Ph.D. in Cultural Studies is one of the few programmes in India which offers a practice-based as well as a dissertation-based mode of research. The programme operates in dual-mode, whereby applicants can register either as full-time or part-time candidates. Located in the culturally active city of Bengaluru, the programme encourages a lively engagement with our everyday and immediate contexts, with the objective of generating original critical and creative work that can make a contribution to society, as well as the disciplines concerned. We are especially interested in applications from practitioners in the cultural and creative industries, who would like to draw upon their existing sites of work/practice, for their doctoral research.
• All candidates will be required to undergo 6 months of training/coursework in Bangalore from June-November. This will be a full-time commitment, irrespective of whether a student is registered as a full-time or a part-time candidate.
• At the end of the 6 month training period, candidates will be required to get their research proposal approved by a panel of experts, after which they begin independent research, under the supervision of a Ph.D. guide, who will be assigned by the University.
• During the period of independent study, candidates may be based in any part of India, however, they will be required to meet their PhD supervisor in person once a month, or as part of a monthly (1-2 day) PhD workshop.
• At the end of the programme, candidates must produce i) an 80,000-100,000 word dissertation containing original research OR ii) a practice-based ‘artefact’ in any form or medium approved by the research committee, along with a 40,000-50,000 word dissertation that includes a critical reflection on the practice/artefact.
• Duration: Full-time: minimum 3 years & maximum 5; Part-time: minimum 4 years & maximum 6. Students will have to de-register if they are unable to complete their Ph.D. within the stipulated period.
• Six per year
• Only one cycle of intake per year along with the June Cohort.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Cultural Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Management
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Commerce
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Tourism
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Economics
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in English
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Media Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Sociology
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts (Liberal Arts)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Finance and International Business)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English, Political Science, History
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Economics, Media Studies, Political Science
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Tourism and Travel Management)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours in English
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours in Economics
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours in Journalism
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) Honours in Psychology