Programme Description: The Ph.D. in Cultural Studies is one of the few programmes in India which offers a practice-based as well as a dissertation-based mode of research. The programme operates in dual-mode, whereby applicants can register either as full-time or part-time candidates. Located in the culturally active city of Bengaluru, the programme encourages a lively engagement with our everyday and immediate contexts, with the objective of generating original critical and creative work that can make a contribution to society, as well as the disciplines concerned. We are especially interested in applications from practitioners in the cultural and creative industries, who would like to draw upon their existing sites of work/practice, for their doctoral research.
• All candidates will be required to undergo 6 months of training/coursework in Bangalore from June-November. This will be a full-time commitment, irrespective of whether a student is registered as a full-time or a part-time candidate.
• At the end of the 6 month training period, candidates will be required to get their research proposal approved by a panel of experts, after which they begin independent research, under the supervision of a Ph.D. guide, who will be assigned by the University.
• During the period of independent study, candidates may be based in any part of India, however, they will be required to meet their PhD supervisor in person once a month, or as part of a monthly (1-2 day) PhD workshop.
• At the end of the programme, candidates must produce i) an 80,000-100,000 word dissertation containing original research OR ii) a practice-based ‘artefact’ in any form or medium approved by the research committee, along with a 40,000-50,000 word dissertation that includes a critical reflection on the practice/artefact.
• Duration: Full-time: minimum 3 years & maximum 5; Part-time: minimum 4 years & maximum 6. Students will have to de-register if they are unable to complete their Ph.D. within the stipulated period.
• Six per year
• Only one cycle of intake per year along with the June Cohort.
For any queries at any given time during the application and admission process, you may contact us through the following Email ID’s:
Bangalore Central Campus
The Office of Admissions,
CHRIST (Deemed to be University), Hosur Road,
Bengaluru - 560 029, Karnataka, INDIA
Ph. No: +91 92430 80800
Indian candidates: firstname.lastname@example.org
NRI candidates: email@example.com
Bangalore Bannerghatta Road Campus
Ph. No: 080 4655 1306, 1307, 1308, 1309
Bangalore Kengeri Campus
CHRIST (Deemed to be University)
Bangalore - 560074
Delhi NCR Campus
CHRIST (Deemed to be University),
Mariam Nagar, Meerut Road,
Delhi NCR Ghaziabad - 201003
Ph. No: 1800-123-3212
Pune Lavasa Campus
CHRIST (Deemed to be University),
Christ University Road, 30 Valor Court,
PO Dasve Lavasa, Mulshi, Pune - 412112, Maharashtra
Ph. No : 1800-123-2009,
Between: Monday to Friday: 09:00 AM to 04:00 PM, Saturday: 09:00 AM to 12:00 PM
(Office remains closed on Sundays, Government Holidays and Any special events)
Hosur Road, Bengaluru - 560029,
Tel: +91 804012 9100 / 9600
Web: http://www. christuniversity.in
EXCELLENCE AND SERVICE
CHRIST (Deemed to be University) is a nurturing ground for an individual's holistic development to make effective contribution to the society in a dynamic environment.