CS06 Unix Operating System
Teaching Hours: 60 [30 hours Theory + 30 hours LAB]
Prerequisite: Basic familiarity with any operating systems
Unit 1 :
Evolution of UNIX – UNIX System Structure – Features of Unix - Operating System Services - Unix Kernel - Locating Commands, Internal and External Commands, Flexibility of Command Usage, man: Browsing and Manual Pages On-line, Understanding the man Documentation. General Purpose Utilities: cal, date, echo, bc, passwd, who, uname, tty.
Unit 2 :
Directory related commands: pwd, mkdir, cd, rmdir. Absolute and relative path names. The UNIX File System.File manipulation commands: cat, cp, rm, mv, more, The lp Subsystem: Printing a File, file, wc, Words and Characters, od, The spell and ispell, cmp, comm, diff. File compression commands: gzip, gunzip, tar, zip, unzip.
UNIT 3 :
Process Basics, Process States and Transitions, ps: Process Status, System Processes (-e or –a), Mechanism of Process Creation, Internal and External Commands, Running Jobs in Background, nice: Job Execution With Low Priority, Killing Processes with Signals, Job Control, at and batch: Execute Later, cron: Running Jobs Periodically, time: Timing Processes. PID & PPID.
Unix Shell Programming: Shell variables - Shell Keywords - Positional parameters - Passing command line arguments. Arithmetic in shell scripts - Read and Echo - Control Structures - if-then-fi - if-then-else-fi - Nested if - Case control structure.
Loops - while-until –for - break and continue. Shell meta characters - Exporting variables - User defined Functions. Communication commands: Communicating with Other Users : Who , Mail , Wall , Send.
Text Book :
Sumitabha Das, UNIX Concepts and Applications, Fourth edition, Tata McGraw Hill, 2008.
Maurice J Bach, “The Design of Unix Operating System”,Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd, NewDelhi, 2008.
Paul Love, Joe Merlino, Craig Zimmerman, Jeremy C. Reed, and Paul Weinstein Beginning UNIX , Wiley Publishing, Inc , 2005. ( Wrox Publishing )
- Demonstrate cal, date, echo and bc commands
- Demonstrate passwd, who, uname and tty commands
- Demonstrate all Directory related commands
- Demonstrate all file related commands
- Demonstrate all File compression commands
- Demonstrate all Communication commands
- Write a shell script to accept 2 numbers and perform the basic arithmetic operation
- Write a shell script to accept any N numbers and find the sum of N numbers using function
- Write a shell script to print current working directory, today’s date and number of users who are currently logged in.
- Write a shell script to implement various if statements.
- CS01 - Programming in C
- CS02 - Introduction to Computers and Computer Programming
- CS03 - Introduction to MS-Office Packages
- CS04 - Web Designing Using HTML, PHP and MySQL
- CS05 - Graphic Designing
- CS06 - Unix Operating System
- CS07 - Introduction to Database Management System
- CS08 - Management Information System (MIS)
- CS09 - Advanced Java Programming