MASTER OF ARCHITECTURE (M ARCH)
The Master's Degree Program in Architecture, approved by the Council of Architecture, is a two-year full-time program offered by School of Architecture. It intends a deep immersion in an ecosophical perspective of Urbanism, as part of an inspired understanding of larger discourses: environmental, social, political, artistic and technological. The Program has four components, Studio, Theory Workshops and Seminar courses. It encompasses the current theoretical positions on Urbanism, Ecology, and Architecture, understanding historical precedents of built environment in India and across the world, infrastructure, mobility, legislation, governance and technology. The studio courses address the issues of methods in documentation, analysis and interpretations and design process of urban environments. The integrated studio cycle is aimed at developing design language, tools and skills to design sustainable built environments. The program entails Summer Internship of eight weeks with Design Offices or NGOS rendering urban design, planning projects.
APPROVED INTAKE: 20 COURSE DURATION: 2 years COURSE CREDITS: 85 TOTAL SEMESTERS: 4
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
1. To provide an education in the field of built environment that recognizes its interdisciplinary nature between urbanism, ecology, social, economic and political realms.
2. To offer learning that encourages a collaborative and interdisciplinary approach and bridges the gap between academics and practice.
3. To offer education and conduct research on pertinent urban and ecological issues of the global south and specifically in the context of Asia.
4. To provide an education that makes students understand the roles and responsibilities to effectively find informed solutions through design, advocacy and activism.
5. To offer courses that are domain specific, issue based that are relevant and contemporary.
6. To provide for choice based credit systems so that students can specialize in the subject of their choice.
1. Sensitize students to be socially and environmentally responsible and to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within the field of human habitat.
2. Engage learners in community outreach programs and assimilate knowledge in built environment related disciplines.
3. Nurture quality education that enables use and extension of appropriate knowledge for designing built environment.
4. Stimulate and develop critical thinking to assess existing environment in the service of the discipline of architecture and urbanism.
5. Offer sound knowledge in design theories and their applications, social, cultural and environmental factors.
6. Learning to apply interdisciplinary knowledge and use tools that enable it.
7. Inculcate skills necessary for the physical, social and creative realms of crafting architecture and urbanism.
8. Prepare students to recognize and act upon opportunities and aspirations.
9. Instil creative problem-solving skills by offering active and experiential learning by working with varied materials and media;
10. Develop skills to demonstrate design concepts and solutions, and adopt effective communication of those ideas to peers, clients, decision makers, and the public.
ADMISSION & ELIGIBILITY
1. A candidate who has passed with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate the Bachelors of Architecture or equivalent courses recognized by the Council of Architecture in India or abroad recognised by UGC / AIU are eligible to apply.
2. Candidates who are in the final year of their studies in B.Arch appearing for their final degree examinations in March-May are also eligible to apply. They should have secured 50% or above aggregate in all the Semesters / Years of Undergraduate Examinations conducted so far.
The candidate shall apply with a Statement of Purpose and three recommendation letters. There shall be an entrance examination conducted by CHRIST (Deemed to be University) followed by a personal interview of the candidate's portfolio of academic and professional works.