Amartya-The economics department association serves as a platform for building knowledge. The department became a catalyst of economic development and innovation of the student community in the university since its inception. Economic Association Amartya 2017 was inaugurated by Dr.S .S.Meenakshisundaram, Executive vice Chairman of MYRADA, Bengaluru. Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences, Christ University Dr.John.J.Kennedy, Head of the department of Economics Dr.Joshy.K.J, Economic Association Coordinator Sir Godwin V.P, Economic Association President of the year 2017-2018 Miss Jigisha Dhami and other students were present. Later Dr.S .S.Meenakshisundaram delivered a lecture on the concept of inclusive growth and rural development.
• The function started with a dance performance by the university dance team “Natyarpana”. Followed by the lighting of the lamp by the dignitaries of the function which includes Chief guest of the day Dr.S .S.Meenakshisundaram, Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences,Christ University Dr.John.J.Kennedy,Head of the department of Economics Dr.Joshy.K.J, Economic Association Coordinator Sir Godwin V.P, Economic Association President of the year 2017-2018 Miss Jigisha Dhami.
• Economics Association Coordinator Sir Godwin V.P welcomed the august gathering by quoting Ravindranath Tagore “don’t limit a child to your own learning, for he was born in another time”. He briefly explained the number of avenues Economics Association has pioneered for the year 2017-18 which includes Ephemeris, National Conference, and National Economic Fest etc,Economic Association President of the year 2017-2018 Miss Jigisha Dhami.
• The presidential address has been delivered by the Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences, Dr.John.Joseph.Kennedy versatile genius by himself expressed his views on the indispensable nature of Economics in the creation of a just society and shared his expectations of the Department of Economics and it’s various activities to enrich student community.
• Dr.S .S.Meenakshisundaram, the chief guest of the day inaugurated the function and delivered his Key note address. Dr.S .S.Meenakshisundaram, currently working as the Executive vice Chairman of MYRADA, a voluntary organization in the field of building people's institutions for development and a Visiting Professor at Institute of Social and Economic Change, Bangalore .He presented his speech in a simple and lucid manner. He conveyed his ideas on “Inclusive Growth” in a very unique way by taking 3 stories to describe what he intended to speak. The stories depict the lives of a taxi driver, a lady working in the informal sector and a dairy farm owner. Through these life situations he was able to capture some of the core realities of the economic situation in India. This involves;
- Modernisation of agriculture is essential for the agricultural sector in India.
- Dairy farming can be a source of assured income. The introduction of a second level institution is necessary where farmers can come together and take proper decisions.
- He differentiated the concepts “India shining versus India inclusive”. Thus gave a note on the importance of India inclusive –where growth spreads to everyone.
- The role of reservations in meeting targeted groups and right based programmes.
- The vast nature of rural development.
He concluded his key note address on the take that it is the need of the hour to concentrate on microeconomics rather than macroeconomics in order to ensure the development of all.
• Head of the department of Economics, Dr.Joshy.K.J officially announced the names of the office bearers of the year 2017-18 and Dr.John.Joseph.Kennedy inducted the newly elected guiding stars of the association.
• The release of the magazine “Ephemeris” and placement brochure by the chief guest, Dr.S .S.Meenakshisundaram.
• Head of the department of Economics, Dr.Joshy.K.J extended the Vote of thanks with special reference and thanks to Dr.S .S. MeenakshiSundaram for his presence. He also conveyed his gratitude to the entire crew of the Economics department for setting the right track for the activities of Amartya.